Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bible Study

There are times when I am primarily focused on a particular topic for my Bible study, due to lessons I am preparing to teach, etc.  But sometimes it is good to have something on hand that is more flexible.  Lately I have been using my Dad's book, Notes from the Margin of My Bible  as a way to spend a little time each day in Bible study.  There are separate sections for the Old Testament and New Testament, and so I usually sit down with my Bible and this book, and read two or three entries from the O.T. and two or three from the N.T., and make various notes in my Bible along the way. 

There are many different ways to engage in daily Bible study; this is one of many that can help develop regular study habits.  The most important thing is that we do something. What are you doing?  Do you have any ideas you can share?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am using one of those "read the Bible in a year" lists. My goal, however, isn't to read the whole Bible in a year but to read SOMETHING every day. The list I have is really good... instead of going straight through from Genesis to Revelation, it arranges the O.T. books chronologically, and intersperses the N.T. books. So it's basically alternating between O.T. and N.T. every week.

Actually, this is the same list I started in January 2009, so I obviously didn't make it all the way through in a year. But I've really enjoyed the chronological order of the O.T. I've learned a lot by reading it that way.

Lindsey said...

I found a list, so I'm going through it and reading a couple or three chapters in the Old and New Testament each day, along with a chapter in Psalms. :) And I'm reading a book on Christian evidences by Kyle Butt.

Anonymous said...

I love your idea with your dad's bible margin books - may have to try that!

Like many, I study what I'm planning to teach - this quarter is "Men & Women from the O.T."

But I really enjoy when I get to study "just for me" - so I've been reading my "ESV One Year Bible" - mainly focusing on the N.T. and the Psalms. This is what I do after lunch when Ron has gone back to work, and the kids are taking a break from school.

Lydia said...

I've been working on the history and time line of the OT. Really concreting where all the OT books fit in and how they relate. A great help for this study for me has been your Dad's book, A Study Guide to Greater Bible Knowledge.